Local fire officials are reminding residents to be cautious when it comes to alternative heat sources as temperatures continue to stay below or right at freezing during the overnight hours.
Princeton Fire Chief Brent Francis says that as temps continue to drop residents need to make sure their homes are protected against potential winter fire hazards.
He also suggests that owners of ventless gas logs test for possible carbon monoxide emissions before using them.
Chief Francis also warns against using an electric or gas oven to heat your home.
He notes several tips to properly use portable space heaters to keep them from becoming fire hazards.
For more tips on how to stay prepared for potential fire hazards in your home this winter you can visit the National Fire Protection Agency at nfpa.org or you can call the Princeton Fire Department at 270-365-2022.